Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Internship half over and what have I learned??

With my internship half over, I thought now would be a good time to reflect on what I have learned so far.

First: Do an internship on site, not online. I know that we live in a very connected world, as my Web 2.0 class continues to emphasize, but when you are just getting your feet wet in a new area of expertise, I really think it is important to be able to gain insights from lots of different people. Even the casual conversations around 'the water cooler' give you a great deal of insight as to what the people are like, the skills that they use on a daily basis, and the challenges that the company is facing.

Second: Remember in your Instructional Design classes when they talk about content experts, and how you have no power over them, but desperately need them in order to finish projects. It is all true. Bribe, beg, plead but do what ever you have to do to get their help. They are invaluable.

Finally, you don't know everything, even though it may seem like what they want you to do is exactly how you were taught to do it in Dr. Reiser's classroom. It is not. Every corporation has their own way of doing things and the most important thing that you have to learn is how to quickly adapt the principles of Instructional Design into the corporate way of doing things.

I am really liking this internship. I just wish I could stay longer. . .

1 comment:

  1. Evan - I completely agree on all three principles, especially the third. As you grow in ID you will find the principles will guide you, but the "personality" of each organization is different. You have done a great job adapting to our way of business and thinking! Keep it up.

    Wrangling cats - When you walked into one of our first SME meetings you had great ideas, I am sure, on how to pull information from us. Within minutes you recognized the diversity that each SME brings to the table and worked silently behind the scenes to extract any data and knowledge you could. With our varied schedules and harried background you quickly identified key principles. Your patience, and endurance, are well noted.

    Thank you for all you are doing for us. Your willingness to help us out has been blessing. If you want to stay...look online and see what postings are available. Apply and give me a ring - I will give you a recommendation.

    ReplyDelete